Thursday, September 1, 2011

Natalie: Buying Habits (17 of 72)

Limit your buying habits. If you are a slave to materialism and consumerism, there are ways to escape it. I was there, and although I haven’t escaped these things entirely, I feel much freer of it all. If you can escape materialism, you can get into the habit of buying less. And that will mean less stuff, less spending, less freneticism.

As much as I have been trying to catch up on my posts, I have also been avoiding this one like the plague. I have a difficult time talking about my buying habits. I am not really a shopper. I don't buy luxury items. I'm not really a label kind of gal. I hate paying full price for retail items (although I suck at cutting coupons). I don't really go to the mall and when I do shop, I like bargains and tend to shop at TJ Maxx, Marshalls, or Home Goods. I also love strolling around Target.

I would say that at least in the past year, I have been trying to be much more conscious about how I shop and where I shop. I do try to buy local when I can but sometimes I feel guilty paying full price for stuff especially if I'm buying it for myself. One thing I do do is that when I want something I want it NOW. I am not always good at calming my impulse and budgeting for it and walking away and thinking about it.

I think one problem I have around buying stuff is that I like things that are new. I know that this is a deep-seeded childhood issue I've got going on and I'm not comfortable sharing the details of this publicly (sorry folks saving it for my therapist). I'm glad though that this simplicity project is forcing me to be much more aware of myself as a "consumer." I use the word consumer in the broadest sense possible. I consume everyday: food, drink, information, stuff, gossip, sleep, conversation, TV, emotions, stories, etc. It's hard not to be a consumer. I guess I just want to be better at it....more aware...more conscious...more mindful. I want to practice consuming habits that are satisfying and that fit my values of balance, connection, love, creativity and play.

2 comments:

  1. Totally, Natalie!!!! I hear you hear you hear you. Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cutting coupons is pointless anyway unless you're buying things like name brand toilet cleaner or Hamburger Helper. Seriously, I always scan the coupon circular when it comes in and there has never once been a coupon for anything I needed or even wanted. It's not worth the time it takes, IMO.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments, questions, and gentle criticism. I only ask that you're kind and respectful in your comments.