Sunday, September 4, 2011

Natalie: Solitude (21:72)

Spend time alone. See this list of ways to free up time for yourself — to spend in solitude. Alone time is good for you, although some people aren’t comfortable with it. It could take practice getting used to the quiet, and making room for your inner voice. It sounds new-agey, I know, but it’s extremely calming. And this quiet is necessary for finding out what’s important to you.

When I first saw today's task I thought "Oh, I'm good at this one" but it seems if you read the referred to list, this is essentially about being in solitude such as setting time aside for meditation. While I certainly understand the value of meditation, I would not call myself a very good meditator but I do enjoy moments to myself. Being a busy mom is not overly conducive to having alone time though but I am a firm believer in practicing self care. Throughout the years, my self care practice has gone in waves. When I worked with Julia Cameron's The Artist's Way, you had to commit to going on "an artist's date" once a week. This was a time where you could do just about anything as long as you did it alone and its sole purpose was fun and relaxing.From my years of going on artist's date, I still find ways to weave them into my week when I can. It's rare for me to have hours of alone time but its important to find satisfaction in the moments you can grasp. For instance, I consider prep work before cooking alone time. I am in the kitchen by myself and I am focused on peeling, chopping, stirring, washing, sauteing. The act of cooking, for me, is a form of meditation. That's why I enjoy doing it. I guess I don't necessarily believe that I need hours alone in a quiet spot to be completely by myself.

The one thing on the Simplicity manifesto's "spend time alone" list that I do want to implement is getting up earlier. I am beginning an early morning workout boot camp this week that requires I get up much earlier than I am used to. Well maybe I'm awake at that hour but I am in no shape to be leaving the house for a workout. This is something I want to change and even though I will be working out with a group of people, I actually consider this alone time because its time that I am spending on myself. I want to be healthier and in better shape. I enjoy the pulsing through my body when I have worked up a good sweat from a good cardio workout. I may be working out with others but that feeling is mine and mine alone. I am looking forward to breathing in the still quiet of the early morning and knowing that this experience is just for me.

For all you moms out there and actually any woman please know that spending time alone can take on many forms. Most of us were conditioned early on to put others first and take care of ourselves when "there is time." We will always be taking care of someone so that means that you need to take care of others and yourself simultaneously. You cannot give and give and give if you have nothing for yourself to give from. It's called "filling the well." If the well is dry then you cannot quench your thirst.

I challenge anyone who reads this post to do something this week that's just for you and I would love to hear what you did or what you plan to do.

1 comment:

  1. I plan to make my lunch hours - I usually go home for lunch - about fun and relaxation instead of crossing items off my to-do list. At least for this week. We'll see how that works out.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments, questions, and gentle criticism. I only ask that you're kind and respectful in your comments.