Friday, September 23, 2011

Natalie: Minimalism. (32&33 of 72)

I am not a minimalist. I am probably closer to a clutterist. I wish there was some kind of term for a lifestyle that was mid-way between the two. Maybe by the end of my post, I will have discovered the right label for someone who enjoys stuff but not too much stuff. Who likes things cozy and comfortable. I guess I associate the qualities stark, sterile and quiet with minimalism kind of like a room on a psychiatric ward or a Tibetan monk's cell. For me these environments are about healing, solitude, and rest so that you can manage the pace of the modern cluttered lifestyle.

I do understand that clutter both physical and mental causes a great deal of anxiety and confusion. I experience both of these sensations quite a bit actually especially lately as I have been trying to make my home more minimalist-like. One of the ideas from Zen Habits is to have clear floors and clear surfaces except for necessities (like a toaster oven or coffee pot in your kitchen) or a few choice decorative pieces. This is one aspect of minimalism that I really want to achieve.

I actually have achieved a 95% state of minimalism in my kitchen. I find it challenging to maintain but not impossible since I de-cluttered my kitchen several weeks ago. This process in the kitchen has been quite revealing. It's amazing that once you have an actual spot for something how easy it is to put away in that spot. Also that if you have less of something, for instance, plates they are easier to clean up. The 5% of clutter that remains in the kitchen are small things that don't seem to have a proper spot. I just haven't decided where I want them to go so for now they are on the counter.

I need to work on the other surfaces in my home such as my fireplace mantle. It's just a mish-mosh of frames and miscellaneous knick-knacks that looks very cluttered. Some knick knacks that I own have sentimental value and I have trouble getting rid of them but I don't like them either. I need to figure out what the emotional value is in me holding onto them. I know its more about an intangible quality or relationship that the object represents. It's hard for me to accept that the object is NOT what it represents.

For instance, I have these 4 porcelain bunnies that were given to me when I was a child by someone important. The relationship to that person is one that is - for lack of a better word "damaged." The bunnies are worth a little bit of money but I hold onto them more as if I am holding onto the relationship. It's as if I give up on the bunnies then I'm giving up on the relationship even though I'd like the relationship to end. It saddens me to have this relationship come to an end so I hold onto the bunnies instead.

I don't think I have ever lived anywhere where the floors didn't have clutter on them. Mine at the moment have lots of toys on the floor. I am working on that though. I have been going through my son's toys and only holding onto the ones that he truly enjoys playing with. I would love not to have stuff on my floors. I also need to start putting our shoes away in the front closet instead of how they are now - scattered outside the front door.

When I think about achieving minimalism in my home. The floors and surfaces take on different meaning to me. The floors seem to have clutter that are items that are used often so why put them away? Things like shoes and toys are used on a daily basis so if they are on the floor, they are convenient to find. Getting the floors de-cluttered is about me being less lazy and more pro-active. The stuff that seems to accumulate on surfaces, I seem to have some weird deep emotional attachment to that I will continue to work on.

2 comments:

  1. The font got minimalized on your post! Heh!

    As for floor clutter, I redid a little side table as a kind of shoe zone by our entryway door and then we got a storage ottoman from Amazon for very little money and it's worked great for toy storage in the living room. In a pinch, it's seating! I try to pick up the floors at the end of each day - I find waking up to clear floors and counters and things helps me greet the day with a fresh mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On a Saturday afternoon after family play, though, our floor will look more like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/trunkbutt/6110286973

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments, questions, and gentle criticism. I only ask that you're kind and respectful in your comments.