Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Commit Me

So today's prompt is to evaluate your commitments and chuck what isn't in line with those core values you came up with on the first day. I'm guessing this one operates under the contemporary assumption that everyone puts too much into their day, into their kids' days, etc etc and we have no face-to-face time anymore. And, yeah, for some people that's true. In my case not so much.

Remember that whole "procrastination is a way of life" thing I said yesterday? Well, after reading today's task it became glaringly obvious that this statement is a bold fact.

I don't have any commitments to chuck in order to pave the way for those things important in my life. I don't really have many commitments at all, really. And any I do have are directly tied to my list.

Play groups so the boy gets to interact with peers.
Swim class so the children don't drown in the neighbors literal inground cesspool.
Meetings with various therapists so the boy can get into EI Preschool classes.
Doctor appointments of various kinds because everyone needs to be healthy.
Weekly dinners/activities with the inlaws to keep in touch with them.
Tri-weekly/monthly phone calls to my parents to keep in touch with them.
Attempted weekly/biweekly activities with friends for the same reason.
Daily email exchanges with my best friend to keep in touch with her.
Occasional business related meetings or deadlines.

It sounds like a lot but it isn't really. Not on a day-to-day basis.

Perhaps I have failure to launch syndrome?

I mean, there are other commitments - little, but imperitive things, that need to be done for the house to function. Laundry, cleaning, dishes, cooking, gardening, etc. But I don't carry them out very efficiently.

I definitely have a 'failure to commit' problem. Not relationship-wise, I think that is probably one area of my life, along with parenting, that I put the most effort into on a daily basis. But all of the other areas fall by the wayside.

Personal health, aside from scheduling and attending doctor visits, is at the outer edge of my radar. I need to actually schedule time for that.

Happiness, well that is in among those other things but I really should schedule some specific time for that too.

And marriage? We have only had one date since the birth of my son three years ago that did not fall on our anniversary. One. It was amazing, that one non-anniversary date. Rejuvenating in so many ways. It was also the first time I've allowed myself to relax and have a beer (or four) since getting pregnant four years ago. We need more of that. Definitely need to take up one of the many friends who have offered on watching the kids for us so we can do it again.

I guess today's thought has taught me that rather than pairing down my commitments..I need to get committed in the first place.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting take on today's exercise! Don't knock being under-committed, though. I did in Costa Rica and loved every minute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, but I feel like I'm under-committed to the point of self-fulfilling my non-accomplished feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear that - maybe focus really strongly on one fun commitment that overlaps with vocational/avocational goals?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you're actually more committed than you think you are, Audrey. All of those projects you talk about on your blog ... not to mention your blog itself ... they may not be appointments, but they take up mental space. You have a full time job and then some, and it's not the mothering one!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments, questions, and gentle criticism. I only ask that you're kind and respectful in your comments.