Sunday, August 21, 2011

Oops! - or - Look, I'm saaaaaaaaaaaaailing!

I've been thinking a lot about What About Bob the past few days. It might have something to do with vacationing on the east coast and having access to my father-in-law's sail boat..and it might be that I imagined having to tie myself to the mast when Christopher decides to captain said boat with the boy and I on board. Not that I'm afraid of sailing, I mean we're just puttering around the bay. And it certainly has nothing to do with the fact that in the 9 years I've known my husband he has never once piloted a boat. I mean, there was that 30 minute "how to" lesson his father gave him the other day. *coughcough* Anyway...

Remember that moment in the movie when Richard Dreyfuss realizes that he's been overlooking the things that matter most to him (his family and to his surprise, Bob) and letting less important things (his career and fame) take priority? Well I think I've had that moment myself, only on accident.

Before the vacation started I remember thinking that while we are here I'd still keep up with the 72 Ideas project - writing every day and posting or back-posting as I was able to connect and most likely in the evenings after the sun went down. The reality, however, is that I am spending all of my time with my family and away from the computer. Well, most of my time away from the computer (obviously) anyway. Which, if you think about it is kind of in-line with the whole concept of sticking to your core values. So really..I think I'm winning right now.

And hey! I'm getting daily exercise by way of swimming and eating nothing but fresh foods (mostly veggies and fish). I told the husband I was swearing off anything fried starting day 1 of the vacation onward (which is killing me because I love fried clams but whatever). His job is to be my gentle reminder. Emphasis on gentle. He asked me exactly how he could go about reminding me without a) embarrassing me in front of his family and b) pissing me off. I had to think about this because I am nothing if not testy when it comes to other people policing my behaviors. In the end I decided all he had to say was, "Honey, remember you asked me to remind you...?" and I would get it, he wouldn't get the look and no one else would realize the implications. Beautiful.

So here I am, on vacation, still working on something that matters to me (the simplicity project) while focusing on the core values (friends, family, health) and not tying myself to the computer or schedules unnecessarily.

Right on.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments, questions, and gentle criticism. I only ask that you're kind and respectful in your comments.