Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Natalie: A not so simple statement (16 of 72)

Create a simplicity statement. What do you want your simple life to look like? Write it out.

I have read previous posts on the simplicity statement and I decided to pass on reading the attached article which sounded not so simple. I just got back from spending a few days away on the coast up in Maine. It was really relaxing. This may sound selfish but I was relieved to be miles and miles away from home while Hurricane Irene blew through the rest of the east coast. I have a lot of family and friends who suffered some serious Irene damage. It sucked to hear their news and hear what a difficult time they were having. I'm sorry to admit but our time away was really lovely. Hurricane Irene had slowed down dramatically by the time she rolled our way. We had some moments of rain and some fierce wind but we were also able to witness the sizable waves crashing against the rocks waiting for interesting debris to wash ashore. The sounds of the waves was soothing and scary all at the same time. The day after the Hurricane, was beautiful...blue skies, sunny, breezy, warm.

Is Hurricane Irene a metaphor for this simplicity project? Those of us who are working our way through the tasks, we are whipping through our closets, drawers, electronic files finding what doesn't fit making piles, sorting through the mess, weeding out the non-essentials....not to say that people's home are non-essential but sometimes when things get damaged you have to get rid of things and in some ways start over. You have to evaluate what's really important. You need to re-prioritize. Granted no one wants to be forced by the wrath of a hurricane to create that kind of change in their lives. Okay maybe its a loose metaphor but simplicity should feel like a warm sunny day, shouldn't it? You know that sigh you have when the sky is clear except for those white puffy clouds like on the opening of the Simpsons. That's what I want simplicity to feel like.

When I returned home last night it was late about 10:30pm. We were tired from our long drive from Maine but relieved that our son was so exhausted that he transferred from the car to his bed still asleep. We still needed to unpack the car and put some stuff away. I was stunned when I walked in the door to realize my house was neat. It made me uneasy and confused because I could not believe that I had done so much de-cluttering before I left. I was so worried before I left that I wouldn't be able to keep this project up especially when I got back from a few days away. I imagined I'd be desperately trying to catch up on all kinds of stuff but I went to bed with a sigh of relief that there was order. Things had a place. Usually I feel like a hurricane (metaphorically speaking) had ripped through my house when I return from a few days away between the wake of a mess I left behind me and all the stuff I bring back but things looked simple like a warm sunny day.

1 comment:

I welcome comments, questions, and gentle criticism. I only ask that you're kind and respectful in your comments.