Monday, August 15, 2011

Sarah, Day 1: Most Important Things

1. I want more time and experiences with my friends and family. Time shared with people I love is, unquestionably, the most important thing. In many ways I have a fractured life; I only have my kids with me half of the time and my boyfriend and family live 3 ½ hours away in another state. Often I am mentally and financially stretched out. Sometimes worry clouds me up even when I’m finally sitting next to my sweetie or cuddling my infant nephew or making dinner for my kids. There really is nothing simpler than the concept of presence, but I need to remember to be in the moment and not halfway there.

2. I want to grow my business as a Clutter Consultant/Organizer so I can help more people let go of the crap in their lives, recognize their own potential and spend more of their time doing the things that are most important to them. Everything we keep out of fear or indifference squanders resources we need for passion and purpose.

3. I need to write more. Every day. It’s been my most sacred personal gift. It makes me whole, it keeps me grounded. It scares the hell out of me. I don’t need permission, I don’t need to take a class on it, I don’t need a degree for it, I don’t even need to show it to anyone. I just need to do it.

4. I love making stuff. I’m all about unusual juxtapositions and playing with scraps and bits. I get lost in the tactile, I crack myself up at the absurd. I get lost in it and forget all about time because I’m playing and being and creating. I need to make time for that and not put it off as a meaningless distraction. I need to recognize and appreciate exactly how important it is, even if it’s “just for me”.

5. I pretty much want to hug, help and heal everybody. I keep meaning to volunteer at my local community center, so I’m guessing I should just do that. I’ve experienced amazing kindness in my own life. It’s time to give some back

P.S. - Check out another Day 1 post over at Attorney At Large!

4 comments:

  1. RE: #5 wish you could come right over and hug and help me... I am having a kind of blah day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Christa, I'm sending big fat hug beams right at you this very moment. I also want to thank you for being pro-active and arranging this whole thing. Look at all the people who joined in, it's like a giant hug from the internet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. While you're growing your Clutter Consulting business (I hope there'll be a branch near me; I definitely could use it!), you could always start a business giving out those hugs on the side. I'm pretty sure there's a huge and untapped market for it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Mitch - I once got silly on wine with a lovely friend of mine and together we created the most amazing and ridiculous idea evah. We would call it Emotional Rescue (I can already hear the song in my head...) and we would give people hugs based on their astrological sign. She's the astrological brains behind it so I don't remember exactly what kinda hug goes with what (whatever kind you like?), but I do recall laughing myself silly over the demonstrations. On a serious note though, I people have a great need for hugs. Now that I think about it, I don't have any current clients who don't hug. Someone told me that was unprofessional and at first I took it kind of hard, but then I thought, ya know, if you would condemn a hug you're probably not the right client for me.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments, questions, and gentle criticism. I only ask that you're kind and respectful in your comments.