Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Day by Day: Tiffany's Day 3

Evaluating my commitments was easy; I didn't put anything important about "work" so I should just quit that, right? Ha! Seriously, though, a lot of my commitments and daily energies are spent on work, including extra curricular and voluntary positions. So, to commemorate this project, I said no to one of my old commitments and dropped my presence on an after-school committee. To complicate matters, the person in charge of the group confronted me directly and asked me to stay--especially because she's having trouble finding members. At first, that made me feel guilty and I nearly caved. Then it occurred to me: all of those other people said "no" and held firm, so why should I be the one to bend? My time is just as important as theirs. And there it was.

So now, on Day 3, how can I use that momentum to keep going? What can I do to build each goal into every day?

1. Cherishing my relationship with my partner

I'm going to start and end every day letting my spouse know how much I appreciate him, and spending time enjoying his company.

2. Being a good mother to my son(s)

Unless I have a prior commitment, I will be home within 15 minutes of my kiddo. Once I'm there, it's easy to love on him, play with him, and teach him the things he needs for a good life. And as for the little roo currently hopping around my belly? I'm working on de-stress techniques that can be done throughout the day to help give him a more hospitable hopping environment. Yoga poses, deep breathing exercises, positive framing, etc.

3. Improving my health (physical, mental, and emotional)

This one got thrown in my face yesterday (hence my lack of post). After working hard to start losing weight and taking care of my body, the last few months I've slid back into old habits. Unsurprisingly, I've been diagnosed with gestational diabetes for the second time. This *forces* me to spend more time making good meals, tending to my health, and exercising. It's really a blessing in disguise, though it's a giant pain in the ass kind of blessing.

4. Improving my finances

The goal is to spend more time at home, including time for meal prep. and family time. These things naturally improve our finances. As for other things I can do to address item 4? How about home improvement projects, working on my doctorate, and continuing to honor all those dreaded school commitments that contribute to a steady paycheck?

2 comments:

  1. "Unsurprisingly, I've been diagnosed with gestational diabetes"

    I know all sorts of people who have good health habits and got GD anyway, so I wouldn't discount the healthy your healthy habits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I know my eating habits for the last 1-2 months certainly didn't help when it comes to keeping blood sugar levels down.

    Although, so far, my numbers are high but not too bad. The highest is 180 after a meal, the lowest is 130. It could be worse.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments, questions, and gentle criticism. I only ask that you're kind and respectful in your comments.