Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Not much help today

The goal for day 2 is to list what eats up your time and eliminate the time suckers (things you do that don't relate to your priorities). The problem is there are very few things I do that I don't enjoy. Even if I thought of something that didn't meet my big 5 (like watching Breaking Bad or something) I still enjoy it and I'm still going to do it. And even when I watch Breaking Bad or other high quality TV (and I only watch select, quality shows), it's often with my wife and dogs.

There is one thing I sometimes do that I really do not enjoy and that is judging speech contests. What a boring 12 hours or so. But at the end of that day I get a big wad of cash and I do like money.

I work of course. I teach 12 hours a week and prepare maybe another 12, 32 weeks a year. I enjoy that time as much as my 20 weeks off. And I publish stuff, which makes me feel special. And I have my websites, which I sometimes enjoy and sometimes find to be a chore. But I like that they bring in money and people get impressed when they hear I'm a web developer. Especially my travel site - I tell people I'm a travel blogger and all of a sudden I'm interesting. Plus I get a little money and some sweet travel deals.

Speaking of travel, today I was walking around Tallinn's old town and my wife wanted to go into more shops than I did. Some shops are kind of cool but generally I prefer checking out the stone buildings and stuff from the street. Oh well, life is tough.

1 comment:

  1. I get the same thing - I do too much, for sure, but it's all stuff I enjoy. Or at the very least I end up with commitments that I USED to enjoy and need to get off my plate. I think in general exercises like these are geared toward general audiences, from the people whose lives are out of control to the people who just want a thinking prompt, and so it has to include all levels

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments, questions, and gentle criticism. I only ask that you're kind and respectful in your comments.