Monday, August 22, 2011

Natalie: Connecting through Technology (7/8 of 72)

I am going to combine task 7 & 8 on limiting communication and limiting media consumption. My reason for combining is I'm not the most tech savvy person. I have only been on Facebook for about 2 years. I also just started texting in the past 2 years. Ironic how those both co insides with the birth of my son. I would say that in the past couple of months just started reading blogs and this is the first time I have ever written one. I do not twitter, chat or Skype. I do send e-mails and like that form of communication as I enjoy writing. I actually miss the days of letter writing but who the hell as the time for that! So I am the type of person who enjoys writing lengthy e-mails. In regard to my cell phone (no land line in our house), I have a wee problem and it centers around the bluetooth in my car. It actually centers around my anxiety and insecurity of sitting alone with my own thoughts so I call people while I am in the car not because I having something pressing to discuss but mostly because those are the moments that I most hate being alone especially when I am feeling really really self conscious. Today I had several moments when I was tempted to call someone (mostly my mother) but I fought the urge and talked to my son and sang loudly to the radio. I was so happy to hear Fake Plastic Trees by Radiohead.

In regard to media, I am not the biggest computer junky. I also dislike video games. I do spend a lot of time watching television. I have a few favorite shows (True Blood, Boardwalk Empire, Law and Order, Mad Men, Leverage, Fringe, GLEE) I tend to be a 1 hour long drama junkie as opposed to the 30 minute sitcom watcher. Although I do like Big Bang Theory. I also despise reality TV shows except for maybe things like Project Runaway or the Next Food Network Star. I like the shows where people use their creativity. As a native Jersey Girl (except for Cake Boss since I grew up in Hoboken) I am disgusted by the Goombah trash that gives Jersey such a bad rep.

The thing I need to work on is probably relying more on my DVR and limiting my TV watching to those hours when I have some downtime. I'm still the type of person who needs to watch a show when it airs like I'm going to miss something which is ridiculous considering how easy DVR is to use. I think this is to do with my impulsivity (which I haven't even written about it - some other post). FYI as I write I continue to add television shows that I really like.

The other problem with television in our house. Is we have one on every floor and I do let my son watch a lot of television. That has to do with I always have it own as background noise. This also has to do with my anxiety around being alone. The white noise fills a void. I actually like television shows for children especially having worked in children's media for about 5 year and I am also kind of picky about what I let my son watch. I also think that children's media particularly television can be a very interactive experience when used correctly. I tend to be one of those people who enjoys deconstructing media and finding meaning in it. There is a lot of opportunity in that for children's television as well if you watch the right shows with your children. I don't believe this in just little kid programming but for teens too. I actually think that GLEE should be required homework in middle school.

Enough posting - I need to go check my 3 e-mail accounts and FB.

1 comment:

  1. "Today I had several moments when I was tempted to call someone (mostly my mother)"

    For real, when I am bored in the car, my brain automatically goes "Call mom! Call mom!". I figured I was the only one. I've been trying to keep the phone time in the car down, too, though for me it's only an alone ride habit. I am pairing that with trying to be more mindful of what's happening around my car - like the scenery, the same way I might if I was walking or biking.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments, questions, and gentle criticism. I only ask that you're kind and respectful in your comments.